Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Black and White Wednesday: "...The Birth of Death" and "The Origin of God!" by Jim Starlin

In 1974, Jim Starlin was at the peak of his creative powers and a sky-rocketing comicbook superstar. When fellow comicbook creator Mike Friedrich founded his "ground-level" (not quite mainstream, not quite underground) comicbook company Star*Reach--and it's flagship title, also called Star*Reach--Starlin was there contributing high-quality graphics and provocative stories the likes of which he couldn't possibly do in Captain Marvel or Warlock. 16 of the 52 pages of Star*Reach #1 (Spring 1974) were filled with Jim Starlin's opinions/flights of fancy concerning drugs, death, and religion. Here's a sampling of Starlin unleashed: "...The Birth of Death!" and "The Origin of God!"









Heavy, man. Hea-VY!

6 comments:

  1. Far Out Groovy One! I wonder if Jim will drop by? I remember this from way back when I was a mere 12 or 13 years old! Yikes! In 3 months I'll be 50! OMG!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Black and White Wednesdays Forever! Just when I thought I had seen it all, you bring on the more amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Faaaaaaantastic! Never seen that before...I have a couple of later Star*reach comics which were great but this strip is incredible. Starlin Rocks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the good old days,, keep it up! I enjoyed going down comics memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you dug it, fellas! I love me some Jim Starlin--glad you do, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm working a Star Reach for first on Galaxy Being put up on Amazon.Here is a rough preveiw.

    http://mavericuniverse.wikia.com/wiki/Star%2AReach_1Fabulous_Find_Star%2AReach_1?venotify=created

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!