Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Black and White Wednesday: "Well, Come on All You Big, Strong Men..." and more by Stern, Byrne, and Vohland

Greetings, Groove-ophiles! Ol' Groove is getting so excited about the upcoming Captain America: Winter Soldier movie that I can hardly stand it! Cap has always been at the tippy-top of my list of fave Marvel characters and I've loved Chris Evans' turns as Cap in The First Avenger and Avengers, so April 4th can't come soon enough for moi! That being said, yers trooly was in the mood for some Cap history...and one of the all-time best articles on the life and times of Steve Rogers was written nearly 40 years ago by Roger Stern for FOOM Magazine #8 (late 1974). "Well, Come on All You Big, Strong Men...", as well as shorter articles on Bucky and the Falcon were illustrated by John Byrne and Duffy Vohland. As most of ya know, in the early 80s, Stern and Byrne teamed for one of the best Captain America runs of all time, but that's a story for another time (and another blog). I bet you'll dig these articles on Cap, Falc, and Bucky--these heroes will be quite different from the movie versions--but underneath it all, Ol' Groove has the feeling they won't be too terribly different after all...
Cover art by John Romita, Sr. and Mike Esposito







5 comments:

  1. Always LOVED Captain America! Bucky & the Falcon!
    Semper fi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised they won't premiere the new movie on the 4th of July! Just sayin'.

    - Mike 'Captain Trinidad' from Trinidad & Tobago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, that was the first issue of FOOM I edited! And I remember how heartbroken I was over the separations error that caused Cap's boot to be white instead of red on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wondered (well, wondered for 40 years, close enough) why that boot was white! Seriously, may I say, Scott, that after Steranko, you were my fave FOOM editor! I loved that you covered "fringe" Marvel characters like the Cosmic Heroes and X-Men (at the time, kiddies--Mr. E. knows of which I speak!) Plus you gave us art by Starlin, Cockrum, and Byrne!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!