Friday, November 28, 2014

Black (and White) Friday: "The Forbidden Zone of Forgotten Horrors!" by Moench and Ploog

Hey, hey, hey, Groove-ophiles! Up for a snack, Alka-Seltzer, or headed to a Black Friday sale? Well, before you go (or when you finish, if you must), you've just gotta treat yourself to this Planet of the Apes classic from Marvel's POTA magazine #2 (July--though I bought my copy in August--1974). Courtesy writer Doug Moench and artist Mike Ploog, prepare to enter..."The Forbidden Zone of Forgotten Horrors!"

























Oh, if ya want some back-story before this story, you can read part one from POTA #1 right here!

3 comments:

  1. Between Ploog and Sutton, these were some lucky monkeys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Artist Mike Ploog went on to be a story board artist. One of his most notable works according to his book, "The Art of Mike Ploog" was the John Carpenter movie ..."The Thing" with Kurt Russel.

    But I digress, I love Mike's art in the pages of Marvel's black and white line. I remember anther publisher has gotten the rights to this art and is now publishing past issues in paperback form. I'm going to have to look on Amazon.com to see if it's still available. I have lots of memories of these terrific stories. I have to wonder if Mikes outrageous ape costumes were lifted to create Tim Burton's re-boot of the apes movie franchise in the late 1990's, It seems like some of Ploogs designs were in the movie with the apes costumes. Anyway...I'll miss Mike's stories from these fantastic books and hope you publish the second part of this saga on your site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply my favorite 70s black and white title, and this, the best continuing storyline.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!