Monday, October 10, 2016

Marvel-ous Mondays: "Panic on Pier One!" by Claremont, S. Buscema, and Marcos

Greetings, Groove-ophiles! Marvel Team-Up #58's (March 1977) "Panic on Pier One!" is what Marvel liked to call an "offbeat issue." Not only are Spider-Man and Ghost Rider a pretty mis-matched pair of partners, but the Trapster  is way down on the list of Marvel-ous villains. Not only that, but it's tough to swallow the idea the Villain Formerly Known as Paste-Pot Pete could be a threat to either hero--much less to both of them. And yet, writer Chris Claremont and artists Sal Buscema and Pablo Marcos managed to craft an interesting enough tale, complete with a very memorable speech on super-hero responsibility in panel six of the final page. Today's so-called super-heroes need to read Ol' Web-Head's sage speech!
Cover art by Al Milgrom


















5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. I don't recall ever having this particular issue, but I have to say, I really liked Claremont's work on Marvel Team-up. I know most people focus on the issues he did together with Byrne (so that there's even a collected edition of those), but personally I think the entirety of Claremont's MTU work should have been collected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always loved the 70's Ghost Rider, when the demon Zarathos became prominent in the story line that was when it hit its "groove" (see what I did there?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, that's kinda harsh on the ol' Trapster. As I recall, the Water Wizard got the same treatment, the soul-searing absolutely horrifying hell-fire treatment, in the pages of Ghost Rider. He's hard on those second-raters.
    Personally, I'd prefer to get tied up in webbing and hung from a lamp post, which is how Spidey usually deals with 'em, rather than wake up screaming every night in an asylum for a couple years.
    M.P.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg, I would love for this last page to be adapted into a motion picture film ☺ the pathos, the conflict, the contrast, the Nicholas Cage, the Tobey McGuire, the good storytelling...love it, I would 😎

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss Pablo Marcos' inks. He always brought a great finish to whomever he was teamed with.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!