Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Decent Comics: "Sorcerers of the Sea" by Skeates and Aparo

Hey, hey, hey, Groove-ophiles! Back in May 1968, Li'l Groove was still a pre-schooler and cartoons still came on the networks on Sunday mornings. My favorite cartoon at that time was Aquaman. So naturally, when I spotted a copy of Aquaman on the spinner rack, I was gonna grab it. When I grabbed #40 (May 1968) and plunked down 12 pennies, I had no idea that I was buying a piece of comicbook history. Y'see, with this ish, despite the familiar Nick Cardy cover art, times they were a'changin'. A certain trio of Boys from Derby, writer Steve Skeates, artist Jim Aparo, and editor Dick Giordano (who would come to be known collectively as SAG) began their legendary run on DC's King of the Seven Seas' mag with "Sorcerers of the Sea"--kicking a run of epic adventure and innovative storytelling that really grabbed fandom. Dive in, baby!























5 comments:

  1. You had me at Aparo. He is my favorite Batman artist (Adams a second with Lee third) and I love his style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the SAG Aquaman run, and this is a great comic! It's beautiful; no one draws Aquaman like Aparo, and it's a rip-roaring adventure. It has some plot flaws, but it's still a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never quite understood the lack of respect given Aquaman. Sub Mariner comparisons,perhaps? Either was I liked him,esp. rendered by the great Jim Aparo! And to you I say as always...GROOVE ON!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The SAG team was superb. Such a departure for DC in it's day, especially with its long running story here that continued for many issues. I don't think Steve Skeates ever wrote again as well as he did on this series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope this means you're going to be running the full Mera's Quest run, Groove! That would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Special thanks to Mike's Amazing World of Comics and Grand Comics Database for being such fantastic resources for covers, dates, creator info, etc. Thou art treasures true!


Note to "The Man": All images are presumed copyright by the respective copyright holders and are presented here as fair use under applicable laws, man! If you hold the copyright to a work I've posted and would like me to remove it, just drop me an e-mail and it's gone, baby, gone.


All other commentary and insanity copyright GroovyAge, Ltd.

As for the rest of ya, the purpose of this blog is to (re)introduce you to the great comics of the 1970s. If you like what you see, do what I do--go to a comics shop, bookstore, e-Bay or whatever and BUY YOUR OWN!